Monday, August 01, 2005

Letter From Mac Dre (RIP)

This is a letter I received from Mac Dre in May of 1995, just over a year before he was released from Lompoc Federal Penitentiary. Once I have a chance I'll scan the actual letter so people can see it.

Doxx,

What's hatnin' folks? I'm gettin' at you to return some of that Bay love you've showed a young playa caught up in the Feds. I'm sorry it took so long to respond but I was tryin' to return to the town unannounced and I didn't want to spoil thangz. Ya know? But after receiving your constant correspondance and newsletters I recognized your realness.

I'm glad to see another real mutha-fucka represent that Bay thang wholeheartidly!! Me and my folks from the Romper Room Crew are representin' to the fullest, lettin' fools in this Federal system know that the Bay Area ain't no joke!! It's mutha-fuckas from Mare Island to the Virgin Islands in the Feds and they know that the Bay consist of pimps, playas, gangstas and big bank$ta$!!! I'm up here lacin' these fools with that shit that you've been missin'. That uncut, super sucka free Romper Room game that only Mac Dre can serve! You think mutha-fuckas is out there poppin' now, huh, wait till they get a load of me!! I'm nothin' correctable and ain't to be fucked with and you can best believe I'm comin' home to reclaim my throne folks (and you can print that)! I'm about to sign with... Well, let's just say the mutha-fucka with the biggest bank!! I gots to come home to somethin' extremely phat so I can clown those smirks who did the wrong thang durin' my bid. I'm finna make niggaz bow the fuck down and give a real mutha-fucka his proper respect!! I gots to take this rap shit to a whole 'nother page.

But peep this folks, I just wanted to get at you and show you some recognition. Tell Billy I send much love and respect to a OG in this Bay Area thang and tell all my Bay Area rap potnas that the Bay boys in the Feds (707/415/510) said keep servin' that shit!! And to you Doxx, I say it's on like a vacation in Rome when I come home!!

Till next time, big Bay love from Mac mutha-fuckin' Dre.

Romper Room Crew Fa Life!!

5 Comments:

Blogger jayo said...

all this classic material is making me nostalgic, if not a bit melancholic. rest in peace mac dre, cougnut, hitman, mr cee, and all the rest who held the bay in their hearts.

its great to see this stuff get digitally recorded tho, a public record of how things used to be and how we got where we are now. keep up the good work man, cant wait to see your take on the present-day situation.

August 02, 2005 12:45 AM  
Blogger Doxx said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 02, 2005 9:35 AM  
Blogger Doxx said...

Jayo: It's sad for me too to be re-typing the pieces that involve those who passed, especially Coug and Dre. They were both such great people and it was hard to see them go. Dre is the artist that got me into Bay Area rap. I knew about Short and a few others before, but hearing "2 Hard 4 The Fuckin' Radio" got me real focused on seeking out rappers from my area. And Coug was a cool dude too. Honest cat too. Spoke his mind. I remember him telling me during our interview that he thought Pac's "Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z." album was "boo boo" I think were his words. It was funny 'cause other people with him were like "What??!?!?" and he was just sayin' it was weak.

damebenz: Right on man.This shit is fun for me, putting up all this old stuff. I wish I would have jumped on it earlier.

As for the Too $hort interview your cous is doin'...

That's tough 'cause his story is so well known and documented. I mean it's mandatory to talk about him making the personalized songs for people and all that stuff, but maybe throw something at him that no one has ever asked him before. Just to be funny I'd probably ask him what he would charge to make me one of those personalized tracks now. I know it used to be $10 when he was nobody. Ask him if he feels that he helped kickstart Atlanta's huge rap scene by moving out there in the '90s. Has he ever considered coming back home to Oakland and trying to help re-spark the fire out here in the Bay?

I'm sure it will go well. Tell you cousin good luck.

August 02, 2005 9:38 AM  
Blogger Doxx said...

I figure that question will at least make him chuckle and will help open him up a little and get a better rapport going with him during the interview.

August 04, 2005 8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEY weis

January 28, 2007 6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home