Friday, October 28, 2005

Bay Area Classics-Volume 1

Every couple weeks I think I might throw some classic Bay tracks up here for everyone to listen to. Some will be very well known songs by very well known artists and others will be lesser known songs by lesser known artists, but all will be good. Here's the first installment:

"Stuck In The Game" - 51.50 (Marin City)
This track is actually just Ryan D. of 51.50 and comes off the group's excellent second album, Crazy Has Struck Again, which was released in 1995 on Arrogant Records. You can probably still find it on ebay or on rapbay. A true must have for a Bay Area collector.



"Goal Tendin'" - E-40 (Vallejo)
This gem is on the Sprung soundtrack from 1997 on Qwest Records. Studio Ton gave 40 a perfect backdrop with his
production here. This is vintage mid-'90s Earl. "...push pause, pump yo' brakes batch / might not be a disc jockey, but I got a little scratch..."

"Thug Thang" - IMP (San Francisco)
I used a picture of the cover for IMP's Ill Mannered Playas album because I wanted people to see the two rappers on this song-Cougnut (RIP) and C-Fresh, but this song is actually from the Notorious Pimps, Playas & Hustlas compilation released in 1997 on Loc-N-Load Records. This is one of my all-time favorite IMP tracks because it's kind of fast, but still ridiculously rugged because of Fresh and Nut's verses and voices. "...What? / You want me to come to yo' hood and feed ya' bullets?..." And I don't know who Steve Jones (the producer) is unless he goes by another name maybe, but this track he gave IMP is perfect.


"Off The Hook" - Seagram (Oakland)
They don't come much realer than Seagram Miller (RIP). Before being gunned down in 1996, Seag released a few albums that were well-received on both the West coast and down South. Seag was really one of the first Bay Area artists to network with the South and this was way back before that was the popular thing to do. Seag had a very confident flow and voice and a very hands on knowledge of the dope game that made his songs all the more realistic. Produced by Terry-T, this song appeared on Seag's posthumous release, Souls On Ice, on Rap-A-Lot Records.

"Mr. And Mrs. Abuser" - Rondo & Crazy Rak (San Francisco)
Unfortunately I couldn't find a picture to go with this song. Rondo & Crazy Rak (RIP) were a pretty much lesser known duo in the Bay back in the '90s so you never really heard too much about them. I remember hearing this song get played on KMEL back in the day on the "Street Soldiers" program and I always thought it was a very poignant, powerful song. This song is from their album, The Abused, which I believe was released in 1994 or 1995 (the CD doesn't say) on High Power Records. Not too much was heard from them after this album. Rondo released a solo album in 1999 I believe that generated some buzz and unfortunately Rak died in a fire a few years back if I remember correctly. If anyone remembers more details about that, please let me know.

There you have it... Volume 1 of my Bay Area classics. More to come soon. I guess these yousendit links die after a while so let me know if you need anything re-upped.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i always enjoy hearing random IMP tracks. Good isht. post more imp songs that arent on back in the days or ill mannered players. hella sick

October 28, 2005 6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice lil' selection.
51-50: Stuck In The Game-Love that track. I still bump that album from time to time, and that's one of my favorite tracks.
E-40: Goal Tendin'-I'd never heard that one before. Nothing like some mid-90's 40 over a Studio Ton beat. That shit is dope as fuck.
I.M.P.: Thug Thang-Another track I hadn't heard. I knew about that compilation though. Cougnut & C-Fresh both rip it apart.
Seagram: Off The Hook-Seag was my favorite rapper. That's a real solid track of his. Not the best off that album, but there wasn't really anything weak on it anyway.
Rondo & Crazy Rak-Mr. and Mrs. Abuser-I was thinking of buying that album the other day... I didn't, but I should have. I'll have to look for it in the future. I believe Crazy Rak had a tape before that too, don't remember the title, but I've seen it around.

October 28, 2005 11:47 PM  
Blogger TCakez said...

Damn alot of these songs & artists(save 40)passed right over my head back in the day...its good though to look back and see what u missed..get a better appreciation of what the bay has to offer

October 29, 2005 7:44 PM  
Blogger Doxx said...

I just re-upped these five tracks tonight (12/6).

Doxx

December 06, 2005 10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home