Sunday, December 04, 2005

Bay Area Classics - Volume 2

Here's another group of tracks for ya...


"Get Off My Sack" - C-Funk featuring Mozilla (EPA)
He now goes by !ProHoeZak?, but when this song came out in 1995 he was still known as C-Funk. Old fucks like me will even remember when he was known as Cap'n Crunch. Anyway, this song was off his great EP, 3 Dimensional Ear Pleasure, on Paris' Scarface Records. It never really got much press or attention for some reason, but it was a good release and I enjoyed it so here ya go. Random trivia: His cousin is none other than Flavor Flav of Public Enemy.

"Dead Presidents" - Chunk (EPA)
I pulled this track off of a sampler CD that I got at a Gavin music conference called The Sessions back in '96 or '97. The CD featured a variety of people from J-Live to Clee & John Doe to Lyrics Born & Lateef and more. At the time Chunk had an upcoming album on E'Lan Records. As far as I know that album was never released and this song never really saw the light of day. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and let me know where else this song appeared.

"Rollin Thru" - COZ featuring Bun B of UGK (Oakland)
COZ was the very first person I ever interviewed for 4080 magazine (RIP). The publisher of the magazine kinda threw me into it without warning and I ended up conducting the interview while riding around Oakland in a Mercedes with COZ and one of his boys for a hour or so. We actually even ended up stopping at his grandmother's house for some reason. The interview came out great and even though I was completely unprepared for it, I think I did a pretty good job. When I first met him, I noticed that he kinda looked like Ice Cube and kinda sounded like Scarface and actually his music is kind of a blend of those two. This track is off his album, View To A Kill, on Ghettogroove/Str8 Game Records which was basically a re-vamped version of his major label album on EastWest Records (I think it was EastWest... It's been a lot of years.) I really like this album, but unfortunately I haven't heard too much about COZ since it dropped save for a few compilation appearances. Also, I figure I can't go wrong posting a rare track featuring Bun B since everyone on the internets is all of a sudden Bun B fanatics. I like Bun B just as much as the next guy, but damn, where were all these Bun B fans before? They should have BEEN supporting.

"Westbound To The Fullest" - Underground Rebellion featuring Saafir (Oakland)
Underground Rebellion is one of those groups that was always kind of on the outskirts of the Bay Area rap scene. No disrespect to them at all because I liked all the shit I heard from them, but they just never seemed to bubble past a certain point for some reason even though they deserved to. They weren't making your typical mid-90's Oakland rap. They experimented and sounded different which was refreshing and Krush's production was always on point. This one features another Oakland vet, Saafir, and comes off the A1 Immaculate Funktism album on Treasure Line Records.

"Cellblock Rulaz" - STN featuring Erase-E (Richmond)
Unfortunately STN (RIP) was killed recently. This track is off of his highly slept on album, Game Stress, and as far as I know this is the only album he ever got to release way back in the mid-90's. Not much to say about this track because it really just speaks for itself. It's just some good Bay Area street music featuring a great production job by Kidnapp and vicious verses from both STN and fellow Richmond resident, Erase-E, who flows ridonkulously here. I got to meet Erase-E a month or so ago and he finally has some new material about to hit the streets which I am eagerly anticipating. His upcoming album is titled, Smoov'...But Aggressive, and will be released on Lethal Injection/Beats By The Bay/Hillco. Features include Twista, B-Dub of CIN and luckily some STN so he will not be forgotten. Look for an interview with Erase-E here soon.

Enjoy and let me know (doxx707@yahoo.com) if you need anything re-upped.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Props for this shit. The only track I already knew out of those was the C-Funk one. A real underrated album.
I always wondered what happen with Chunk after '94. I know he had another album at some point, but damn he really went M.I.A. for a long time. That track you posted is pretty cool, though most tracks of Break 'Em Off A Chunk are better.

Good luck with the job and all, and I'm definitely on the lookout for that Skip Dog shit.

December 04, 2005 12:19 PM  
Blogger Doxx said...

Thanks for the good wishes on the job hunt. Glad you enjoyed the songs and I appreciate you visiting the site.

December 04, 2005 7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, I thought I knew all of Saafir's guest appearances (back when he was still killing it) but I had no clue about this one.

December 05, 2005 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big props on this shit!

Been looking for that first song for a bit....

Any chance you can reup your Bay Area Classics part I??

No worries if not, this shit is hot

December 05, 2005 2:30 PM  
Blogger Doxx said...

I'll re-up part 1 by tomorrow night. Check back.

December 05, 2005 8:27 PM  
Blogger Doxx said...

I just re-upped all five songs from Bay Area Classics-Volume 1 tonight (12/6).

Doxx

December 06, 2005 10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BIG PROPS MAN, MUCH APPRECIATED ON THAT REUP.

December 07, 2005 7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ay homie i remember when c-funk wuz captain crunch post that classic song up 1 time where he says that

December 10, 2005 11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What`s a m4a-file??

December 13, 2005 4:23 PM  
Blogger Doxx said...

I have no idea. I'm guessing they're the new and improved MP3, but I really don't know. I was actually wondering if anyone would have problems playing those type of files, but so far no one has said anything. Are they not working for you? If I need to I'll start posting audio as mp3's.

December 13, 2005 10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whats up with some real "CHUNK", that good s--t from EPA (east palo alto, for those that don't know)that came out in the early nineties or late eighties, something like "Dirty Hoes Dont Get Choose" where can you find something good like that. some real bay area classics. A lost all my old tapes and no one i know has anything left. i need help.

August 04, 2007 3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Supp Doxx!

Sippy from the siccness here.. dunno if u remember..

Funny you have C-Funk & Chunk together there... And questioned about Dead Presidents.. Elan never dropped 'Vision Of My Destiny' but the track you have made it to a single w/ 2 other tracks. 'You Ache Me' was one.. A big diss to... C-Funk.. LOL.

February 19, 2009 4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thought u might like to hear it:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F3966FUQ

February 19, 2009 4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home