Thursday, January 12, 2006

Cool C To Be Executed

This post may not interest some of my younger readers who don't know much about hip hop before 2000, but I'm posting it anyway.

From allhiphop.com:

Rapper Cool C's Execution Warrant Signed by PA Governor Ed Rendell
By Seandra Sims
Date: 1/11/2006 4:15 pm

Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell signed the execution warrant yesterday for former Philadelphia rapper Christopher "Cool C" Roney.

Roney, 36, is currently an inmate at Pennsylvania’s State Correctional Institution at Greene and is set to die by lethal injection on March 9.

In October 1996, Roney was found guilty of first-degree murder in the killing of Philadelphia police officer and nine-year veteran Lauretha Vaird during a botched January 1996 bank robbery that included rap partner Warren "Steady B" McGlone and a third man.

Vaird was Philadelphia's first female officer ever killed in the line of duty.

While McGlone was convicted as an accomplice and getaway driver, later receiving life in prison, prosecutors asserted that Roney was the triggerman and sentenced him to death.

The sentence was affirmed by the state's Supreme Court a year ago, and a subsequent plea to the U.S. Supreme Court was denied in October 2005.

Roney was a member of rap crew The Hilltop Hustlers in the late 1980s and helped put Philly rappers on the map with singles such as "Juice Crew Dis" (which was later used by Philadephia rappers Beanie Sigel & Peedi Crack on 'When You Hear'), as well as 1989's hit single, "Glamorous Life."

As a rapper, Roney released two albums, 1989's I Gotta Habit and 1990’s Life in the Ghetto.

In 1993, he joined Steady B and Ultimate Eaze to form the group C.E.B. and released the album Countin' Endless Bank in 1993 on Ruffhouse Records.
Just hearing the name Cool C brings back a lot of memories for me. "Glamorous Life" was my shit back in my middle school days! I remember wanting to get a blue track suit like the one he had on in the video. Shit, I still find myself doing the little "ooo ooooo, you got it" call every once in a while.

I'm not here to debate his crime and the death penalty or anything like that. All I can say is it's a shame that his life turned out this way.

"Glamorous Life" video

"Glamorous Life" mp3 (this is a longer version of the song than what you hear in the video)

17 Comments:

Blogger TCakez said...

The good ole days of hip hop huh...
my song was "I Got Habit" though and didn't care to much for "Glamourous Life"..

I remember back in the day my dad use to tow trucks and he'd bring back goodies from unclaimed cars. One time he gave me a Steady B tape I think it was his first one cant remember the name though. Cool C was the better artist in my eyes though.

Its sad its just a waste of life for all involved...

January 14, 2006 5:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah man sad. g life was def a club banger. cool c best thing outta philly you ask me.on that hustlin gangsta shit before it got cool.-- big ant out

April 11, 2006 7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FUCK COOL C HE KILLED A COP HE NEEDS TO FRY.

May 10, 2006 6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad that our current and former world climate can still push people to murder.

That said I was not there so who knows. He might be innocent.

[]DEACE.
Rob (Still) Warren.

January 23, 2007 2:27 PM  
Blogger Tafari said...

Do you still have Glamorous Life still available. That used to be my jam!

I was just thinking about it & Googled Cool C & tripped out when I saw what he did, just just plain messed up.

You can hit me up at bygbaby@comcast.net if you can hook me up with the mp3.

Peace,
Bygbaby

May 05, 2007 10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I know him personaly, I was also my cell was next to his when was locked up. I don't believe he was fairly tried as alot of people are rail roaded in many court settings. I beleive man laws are imperpect just as man is imperfect. how many people in the past have been wrongly convicted and sent to death row later on in some cases to be proven inocent. sad sad system.

May 22, 2008 11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All evidence points to tha C, do doubt about it.

May 31, 2008 6:04 PM  
Blogger dj NIMBUS said...

...i'm years late on this, but I heard about it when it went down, hate that he chose a path that took a talented brother out of the game when it was good, but that's water under the bridge. I spin old skool hip hop & house, and googled his name to see where any of his music was being sold online and came across this joint. Good write up. RIP Cool C.

March 09, 2010 8:20 PM  
Blogger Scotty said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_C

His execution was stayed. He is still alive. Now if only I could find the mp3 for Juice Crew Dis.

June 07, 2010 2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No disrespect to the officer may she continue to rip, however when a normal person shoot and kill a cops it murder and everyone has something to say but when a cop kill a normal person they were just doing their job. It no different it murder but nothing it done it not fair if normal people ate convicted and put to death so should them

January 31, 2014 6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuck the police.

June 21, 2014 7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We lose good rapper over stupid shit. Glamorous life was and will always be the shit. The rappers today have noooooooooo skills. This generation has the wackest music ever. All they do is make noise sounding like mice on the mic.

June 21, 2014 7:59 PM  
Anonymous Monalisa said...

Cool c was my boyfriend back in the days,i used to fantasize about him.i love all of his songs and him.only god can judge him haters stop.sometimes the police can target ppl i don't think he's guilty.but only god knows.i still love him and if he gets executed my life will forever change.sad that he has to live in jail.omg i hope that he can get out and live his life.rip to the cop.

November 27, 2014 11:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Fuck you,show your name Faggot

January 10, 2015 7:24 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

I agree with you 100%

March 05, 2016 12:41 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

I agree with you 100%

March 05, 2016 12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Playing judge isn’t cool, the measure u give others, might b the same measure given to you. Remember this, when ur asking God, why me!!

September 11, 2023 6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home