Friday, May 12, 2006

Bay Area Hip Hop Archives - Volume 1

I don't really have time to write too much today because I'm in the process of moving which means closing and transferring accounts, cleaning, big fuckin' headaches, etc... It also means going through tons of shit and reminiscing and in the last few days I came across a bunch of old magazines, pictures, bios, promo items, etc... that I've been keeping all these years, all of it related to Bay Area hip hop. Shit brought back some real good memories for me and I thought I would share some of it with my huge legion of readers three readers so I took some pics with my trusty digital camera. Click the thumbnails to Super Size like McDonald's...

E-40 on the cover of 4080 magazine (March 1995)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Dubee, Mac Dre (RIP) & Khayree on the cover of 4080 magazine (1997)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

IMP (RIP Cougnut) interview in 4080 magazine (1996)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

E-40 on the cover of Rap Pages (April 1999)


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Luniz on the cover of Underground Soundz magazine (1996)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

JT The Bigga Figga & Snoop on the cover of 4080 magazine (1997)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

11/5 on the cover of Paying Duez magazine (January/February 1996)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

A letter that Mac Dre wrote to me while he was incarcerated in Lompoc Federal (May 1995)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

An E-40 baseball and a baseball bat shaped wooden pen to promote his Tha Hall Of Game album (1996)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Hope you enjoyed looking at some Bay Area hip hop historic archives type shit. I've got a ton more - remember, I've been involved in Bay Area hip hop industry in one way or another since 1993 and have been a fan even longer - so look for more posts like this in the future.

Oh, and once I get some time I'll go fuck around at Kinko's and do some scanning. Then I'll slap you in the head with all the Bay Area hip hop pictures I took back in the day.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks mayn. in this digital age, having treasures like that is priceless. good to see you didnt pimp it out on eBay and kept it outta pure love.

May 12, 2006 9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of nice shit in there... hey man could you scan the rest of that 4080 interview with I.M.P.?

May 13, 2006 11:05 AM  
Blogger TCakez said...

Damn...makes me remember how much I took for granted in my younger days I had a few of these once upon a time...

Good looks your like a time capsule...

May 15, 2006 4:20 AM  
Blogger M.Dot. said...

DUde.

I wish I had my old 4080's.

I used to (try and write) for them back in the DIZZAYS.

Thank you for uppin the memories.

May 16, 2006 6:07 AM  
Blogger Doxx said...

jusacomment: I'm right in the middle of moving right now and I packed all that shit up after I posted it. Give me a week or two and once I get all my shit unpacked and back to normal I'll get that whole IMP interview up here.

model minority: Did you ever have anything published in 4080? I used to write for them back in the good old days.

May 16, 2006 11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that shit is sick! i really really want to see that imp interview.

June 04, 2006 2:59 PM  
Blogger M.Dot. said...

THIS IS PRICELESS.

I might have to BLOG about this post.

July 27, 2006 9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ghostface Killah, Rakim and Brother Ali are rolling through San Francisco November 2nd at Mezzanine in San Francisco.

October 19, 2007 3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice doxx thx for the big up

lauchlan mcintyre

publisher 4080
eblolo@hotmail.com

April 12, 2008 4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I took those pictures of IMP! And I made that Payin Duez! Were you raiding my closet??

houseofschwartz.com

August 18, 2008 2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bay love to all the yay area rap cats I been down since 89' for tha west nothen sicker than a tight fillmoe track peace!

January 09, 2009 11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WUS UP DOG !! ITS HELLA GOOD TO FIND THIS PAGE. I WAS IN A GROUP CALLED THE SYRCAL OF SOULS. WE WAS IN 4080 WHEN I WAS HELLA YOUNG AND IM TRYNA FIND OUT HOW CAN I GET A COPY OF THAT OLD ARTICLE. THE ONLY THING THAT I REMEMBER IS THAT SPICE 1 WAS ON THE COVER. GET AT ME. CANNONBALLMUSIK@GMAIL.COM

February 04, 2009 9:22 PM  
Blogger Martin Wood a.k.a. TY said...

TY THA ARTIST FT. LIL RO - "I BALL"

http://www.zshare.net/audio/55271272b12d520f/

www.myspace.com/tythaartist

February 07, 2009 8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MAN!! i am diggin all this old city shit, thanks for posting this bro, i'm trying to start this graphic tee company, and its just gonna bring back the frisco vibe from the gold rush, to the 60's, and of course to the 90's rap scene...so it would be great if anybody could send me some old pics of like 11/5, or like rbl or something.
PLEASE hit me up: jr.kash@yahoo.com

March 14, 2009 9:21 AM  
Blogger Random Developer said...

Just came across this somehow- but I can vouch for you Doxx! Nice posting of 4080 magazines here, very nostalgic. Interned for them for a few years- after I met you I think. Threw a fun concert called Fog Jam- if you need a reminder :)

April 08, 2011 9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home